[转帖]有多动症的钢琴家

入得谷来,祸福自求。
karen

[转帖]有多动症的钢琴家

Post by karen » 2008-02-06 16:26

纽约时报这篇文章批评钢琴新星们有多动症。在板凳坐不住,又厥屁股又135度后仰,脸部表情嘶牙咧嘴惨不忍睹。 这让我想起来多年前看过郎郎的演出,哎哟,真的把眼睛闭上。
When Histrionics Undermine the Music and the Pianist
By BERNARD HOLLAND
Published: February 6, 2008
Wandering from one television channel to the next the other day, I came across young people playing the piano. One man, bearded and a little hefty, rippled through a Beethoven sonata, sharing with the camera complicit smiles, exultant grimaces, gazes to the right and left, and a gentle swaying from side to side.

The next, a young woman, sat down to Schumann, bending her back, lifting her head and gazing straight up. Maybe God was sitting in the rafters just above her, and she was using the opportunity to say hello. Both pianists were perfectly fluent. They kept time, played the right notes and sounded expressive when they were supposed to.

I had to turn away. I could listen, but I couldn’t watch. Two performers, four glazed eyes and four waving arms were too much for my stomach. And if someone with a lifelong love for the piano repertory has this kind of reaction, what about those coming to classical music from the outside? Think of the smart young people ready to believe, filled with curiosity and good thoughts, and imagine with what astonishment and amusement they must come away from such scenes.

It’s another reason classical music is not reaching more young people: not because of how it sounds, but because of how it looks. Even worse, lugubrious gymnastics like these advertise the feelings of performers, not of Beethoven or Schumann. Music is asked to stand in line and wait its turn.

Our two pianists might simply have been talking themselves into playing well and sharing the conversation with us. Maybe they didn’t trust their own ability to make music without a little theater to juice up the proceedings. Elaborate arm waving and heaven-bound gazes, at any rate, seem to have become part of the conservatory curriculum, like accurate scales and counterpoint.

Some, I am sure, watch the wrong people and engage in monkey see, monkey do. More often, I suspect, performers just want everyone to know how wonderful they are, right down to their virtuoso fingertips. There are bad examples out there. Liszt evidently jumped around when he was a young touring virtuoso, but he is said to have sat at the piano like a stone later in life. Glenn Gould, who acted out his musical eccentricities with remarkable finesse, looked like the music he was making.

Serious theater in the wrong hands turns unintentionally into physical comedy. I have always wanted to make athletically inclined students sit in a chair away from the piano, writhe to their heart’s content and then ask themselves what they just heard. Some music does bear watching, like the slow ballet of Steve Reich’s “Music for 18 Musicians.” Most of it doesn’t. Vision, the dominant of our five senses, gets in the way.

Responsible teachers ought to be beating these kinds of histrionics out of their students but are too often perpetrators themselves. One answer might be for conservatories to hire time-and-motion experts, professionals who could point out that the flailing arm, the bulging eye and the balletic upper torso are extraneous work in a business best devoted to doing the most with the least.

Technique is not about muscle building but about optimal allocation of resources. More happens faster and more clearly with the minimum of gesture. Weight and relaxation, not force, make big sound. So much energy is squandered on these melodramas for the eye ― and so much attention diverted ― that it is a wonder our pianistic thespians can hear themselves at all.

If the teacher won’t do the job, what about tying offenders to a post and running films of Arthur Rubinstein at work? They should note the dignity, the rectitude, the stillness of the upper body and, above all, the quality of the music that results. My colleague Alex Ross once described a filmed Beethoven sonata performance as Wilhelm Kempff watching Wilhelm Kempff play the piano.

And a note to the larger ego: playing the discreet middleman does not sacrifice the spotlight. It is neither meekness nor submission nor self-effacement. At the end of the day, whom do we take more seriously, Rubinstein or Lang Lang?

The television program I happened to come across was produced by or for (probably both) a major American piano competition, and the young people I saw on it were part of that process. The program also offered commentary by an eminent conductor talking about the differences between Apollonian and Dionysian approaches to art. The Apollonian refers (and I paraphrase) to symmetry, invention and elegance; the Dionysian, to art more from the gut, more spontaneous.

More personal too. Dionysus had the stage when I was watching: two ambitious young people were taking part in a system that asks them to use Beethoven and Schumann as ways to sell themselves. Maybe our eminent conductor could have added another distinction to his two-sided debate: that Dionysian pianists care about Dionysian pianists, whereas Apollonian pianists care about music

sikong

Post by sikong » 2008-02-07 2:41

据说郎爸开了一学校不教别的,专教闭眼摇头晃脑。
若是真的,也忒缺德了
肥,是一种美德

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2008-02-07 4:28

哈,原来看不惯“体育型”古典音乐演奏者的大有人在。我不喜欢郎朗的原因之一就是他的作派。不过呢,大幅度的四肢动作应该不能算古典乐无法吸引年轻人的原因吧。

karen

Post by karen » 2008-02-07 9:23

当然不是啦,古典音乐不上现代生活的节奏,现在的小年轻哪儿肯坐下来一个小时听四个乐章的?
不过演奏家这么夸张的摇晃看着令人难堪, it certainly doesn't help to draw young audience.

火星狗

Post by 火星狗 » 2008-02-07 9:47

It definitely helps to expel audience of any ages.

这种“体育型”风格似乎暗示着演奏家很投入以至于lose control。这样一来观众会有一种侵入他人私人领域的感觉,所以就觉得尴尬?我猜的。

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2008-02-07 10:02

正文里说的,观众/听众是来感受音乐家的音乐,贝多芬是贝多芬,舒曼是舒曼,顶多是看/听你演绎的版本,不是来看你的。演奏者表情悲痛欲绝也好,身体前后摇晃也好,都是噪音。

silkworm

Post by silkworm » 2008-02-07 14:04

我偶尔在电视上看见朗朗弹琴,就想起上中学时体育课考投实心球,有一个女生预备动作使了牛劲也扔不出多远,老师讲话了:你把使劲皱着鼻子用的那些劲,都用在胳膊上!

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2008-02-07 14:05

一个女生预备动作使了牛劲也扔不出多远
That was me! :huh: :f22: :( :cry:
有事找我请发站内消息

qinger

Post by qinger » 2008-02-07 14:33

我高中体育老师更恶毒,每次我扔铅球后他都说:还好,没掉在脚上。
后来我实在受不了这种精神折磨,跟好朋友一起练了一个暑假铅球,开学后轻松就扔过了及格线。看到那个老师的表情,真是痛快。
Knowing wrote:
一个女生预备动作使了牛劲也扔不出多远
现在偶是胡军的扇子。

simonsun

Post by simonsun » 2008-02-07 15:12

Knowing wrote:
一个女生预备动作使了牛劲也扔不出多远
老子中学体育就没有及格过⋯⋯ :evil:
Violent delights.

karen

Post by karen » 2008-02-07 15:50

郎郎已经弹得很好啦,技巧一流,深度吗,it's relative. 这篇评论是说他已经弹很煽情了,犯不着做夸张姿势。 可他非做,生怕你不知他弹得陶醉。

幻儿

Post by 幻儿 » 2008-02-07 16:06

《傅雷家书》一九五五年三月十五日夜

“马先生有家信到京(还在比赛前写的),由王棣华转给我们看。他说你在琴上身体动得厉害,表情十足,但指头触及键盘时仍紧张。他给你指出了,两天以内你的毛病居然全部改正,使老师也大为惊奇,不知经过情形究竟如何?
好些人看过Glinka[格林卡]的电影,内中Richter[李克忒]扮演李斯特在钢琴上表演,大家异口同声对于他火暴的表情觉得刺眼。我不知这是由于导演的关系,还是他本人也倾向于琴上动作偏多?记得你十月中来信,说他认为整个的人要跟表情一致。这句话似乎有些毛病,很容易鼓励弹琴的人身体多摇摆。以前你原是动得很剧烈的,好容易在一九五三年上改了许多。从波兰寄回的照片上,有几张可看出你又动得加剧了。这一点希望你注意。传说李斯特在琴上的戏剧式动作,实在是不可靠的;我读过一段当时人描写他的弹琴,说像rock[磐石]一样。罗宾斯坦(安东)也是身如岩石。唯有肉体静止,精神的活动才最圆满:这是千古不变的定律。在这方面,我很想听听你的意见。”

Rainbow

Post by Rainbow » 2008-02-08 8:14

我记得有同学使劲扔铅球, 结果落在背后...
其他同学问老师, 应不应该记负分儿... :preston_robot_nocollar:

sinca

Post by sinca » 2008-02-16 1:06

simonsun wrote:
Knowing wrote:
一个女生预备动作使了牛劲也扔不出多远
老子中学体育就没有及格过⋯⋯ :evil:
我初一的时候体育还不及格呢,初三的时候演变为年级长跑领跑了,大言不惭地炫耀说。 :oops: