【短】昂贵的作者

入得谷来,祸福自求。
Jun

【短】昂贵的作者

Post by Jun » 2007-09-13 17:54

下礼拜老头要在本地进行卖书活动,见一面要40块!包括他的新书。挖赛,是他要我买书还是我求他卖书给我?他跟他的电视名记老婆住在本地,根本就是顺路弯一下而已。

花四十块见他我是不肯的,如果Bill Clinton来推销我就肯了。(他也有本新书刚出来。)

我对Uncle Ben 的印象比这臭老头好多了。

icefire

Post by icefire » 2007-09-13 17:57

40块是给谁的?

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-09-13 18:02

嗯,我假设是给他的喽。不过也可能一部分用来租用场地。其他作者搞推销签名活动是不要钱的,不过要见他的人太多了,得租大场地。但是我认为租金应该出版商出才对。

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-09-13 18:14

我觉的满值的。他说话很冷幽默,在公开场合说的又少,你应该去听听他说什么。我刚看完了bob rubin 的回忆录,待会儿写个报告。
bill clinton 说话太政治家了,滴水不漏的,没劲。AG 说的少,但是一句是一句,不敷衍,不废话。
有事找我请发站内消息

豪情

Post by 豪情 » 2007-09-13 18:45

收钱也许就不用排太长的队了. 想看小克要提前一夜露营排队.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-09-13 19:34

I am eager to see Clinton, not because of the substance of what he says, but I'm curious about the legend of his radiating charm. I've read so many witness accounts that sound like they were mass hypnotized by his mere presence that it has to have some truth in it. Apparently he is vastly charismatic in person, and his seductive power is like ... the ultimate perfume in "Perfume." I've even heard a first-hand witness account some years ago. This average middle-aged white businessman -- his eyes glowed as he remembered getting a handshake from Slick Willy. He said, "It's true. When he looked me in the eye and said, 'It's a pleasure to meet you, xxx.' I believed it absolutely." Apparently Clinton is a rare cat. I'm dying with curiosity to see if he is really this hypnotic in person.

DeBeers

Post by DeBeers » 2007-09-13 20:16

在哪里,我是说格林斯潘那个,需要提前报名吗? :?:
钻石恒久远

幻儿

Post by 幻儿 » 2007-09-13 20:34

Jun wrote:I am eager to see Clinton, not because of the substance of what he says, but I'm curious about the legend of his radiating charm. I've read so many witness accounts that sound like they were mass hypnotized by his mere presence that it has to have some truth in it. Apparently he is vastly charismatic in person, and his seductive power is like ... the ultimate perfume in "Perfume." I've even heard a first-hand witness account some years ago. This average middle-aged white businessman -- his eyes glowed as he remembered getting a handshake from Slick Willy. He said, "It's true. When he looked me in the eye and said, 'It's a pleasure to meet you, xxx.' I believed it absolutely." Apparently Clinton is a rare cat. I'm dying with curiosity to see if he is really this hypnotic in person.
Haha, I've seen him and shaken hands with him when he was speaking in my school, but all I noticed was his huge red nose :roll: , so all I was thinking at that moment was whether he was an alcoholic and totally didn't notice his charm :oops: After that, I've been searching for evidence about his red nose, but didn't fine one. So I'm not sure if that's really what I saw, or just what I thought I saw, although I cannot think of a reason why I would want to see that...I'm just deeply puzzled. :f19:
Last edited by 幻儿 on 2007-09-13 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-09-13 21:13

DeBeers wrote:在哪里,我是说格林斯潘那个,需要提前报名吗? :?:
买票请早,恐怕人很多的。见下面的网页,19日。

http://www.politics-prose.com/calendar.htm

上次Al Gore 来卖书,票子也是很快卖光了。

我对Greenspan有偏见恶感,是不会去看他的。Uncle Ben如果来讲话倒说不定会去听的---if he doesn't screw up the rest of his term, that is.

gardvariety

Post by gardvariety » 2007-09-13 22:07

Bill Clinton 昨天下午在Arlington的costco签名照像推销他的Giving来着。在卖蔬菜水果的角落,用矿泉水纸巾堆起屏障,很是搞笑。

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-09-14 3:13

Jun wrote: 我对Greenspan有偏见恶感,是不会去看他的。
How funny. I could say the same thing about Bill Clinton. :mrgreen:
有事找我请发站内消息

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-09-14 7:38

gardvariety wrote:Bill Clinton 昨天下午在Arlington的costco签名照像推销他的Giving来着。在卖蔬菜水果的角落,用矿泉水纸巾堆起屏障,很是搞笑。
啊?!我就住那附近!错过了。 :verysad:
:cry:
我的猜想就是他不是对谁都放电,而是有选择性地放电,但是对记者似乎是经常放的。这就不可能完全是诚恳的。据说Ronald Reagan也是非常非常有魅力的,但是在私人生活里他完全没有深层的感情,感性上对身边的人非常肤浅和冷淡,而Nancy也差不多,所以他的几个孩子跟父母的关系都很不好(although that didn't prevent them from making money off of their famous father later on)。有人形容他是时刻在演戏,脱下面具后,下面只是空壳子。

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-09-14 12:00

The Politico | September 5, 2007

The long campaign of Bill Clinton

Most politicians like serving far more than they like campaigning, but Bill Clinton loved doing both.

By Roger Simon

CONTOOCOOK, N.H. ― Looking into Bill Clinton’s eyes is like falling into a swimming pool.

His eyes are deep and blue and comforting and, as person after person will tell you, when his eyes lock onto yours, you feel like you are the only other person in the world.

Margarida Perreira, 48, of Manchester, N.H., can stand it no longer.

“Can I give you a kiss?” she asks him.

“Sure you can,” he says.

She hugs him fiercely.

He smiles and thanks her and moves on, his hands in the pockets of his white jeans, his dark ostrich skin boots scuffing along the dirt paths of the Hopkinton State Fair.

Somewhere around here, his wife, the junior senator from New York, is campaigning for president. They started out at the fair together, but she has her pace and he has his.

They both have entourages: staff, Secret Service, local police, press. But Bill wanders freely, never letting anybody really get between him and the crowds. Most politicians like serving far more than they like campaigning, but Bill Clinton loved doing both.

“He wanted to win the voters one by one,” his former spokesman, Mike McCurry, once told me. “He would have gone to all 250 million of them if we could have figured out a way to do it.”

Somewhere near the Holstein barn, Matt Grader, 36, of Goshen, N.H., says to Clinton, “Job well done. Job well done.” There is real emotion in Grader’s voice.

“It was an honor to serve, sir,” Clinton replies, real emotion in his voice. “An honor.”

He moves on.

“Hi, buddy,” he says to a teenage boy wearing a Beatles “Revolver” T-shirt. “Nice shirt. I like that.”

“Beautiful family,” Clinton says to a beautiful family.

“Red Sox had a good game last night,” he says to a man wearing a Red Sox hat.

Whenever there are groups of children, Clinton bends down so their parents can get a picture of them with the former president. Whenever he sees people in wheelchairs who cannot get through the crowd to him, Clinton moves through the crowd to them.

Many people are too nervous or excited to initiate a conversation, but they soon learn that is not necessary.

“Where are you from?” Clinton asks a woman.

“Cologne,” she replies.

It is like turning on a switch. “Beautiful town,” he says. “I have been there many times. The first time was December 1969. I crossed the Rhine at midnight and walked up the hill to the cathedral. It was breathtaking. You must be so proud of it.”

She smiles and nods.

“It is one of the greatest stories of World War II,” he goes on. “The bombers had to bomb the Rhine, but the Cologne Cathedral is such a holy place ― Catholics believe the relics of the Magi are there ― the bombers flew very low to bomb the bridges without hitting the cathedral. It was a touchingly heroic story. You’re very lucky to live there. It’s a wonderful place.”

The woman nods again. She is not the first person to discover that Bill Clinton can know more about your town than you do.

Bill Clinton is not the only spouse on the campaign trail. Both John Edwards and Barack Obama make major use of their spouses. But Bill Clinton brings a certain perspective that no other spouse can duplicate.

Earlier in the day, at a rally in Concord, Bill Clinton introduced his wife to the crowd.

“You need somebody in the White House who never forgets about you,” he said. “And it is easy to forget when you’re president. You fly around on your own plane, and it’s a real nice one.”

The crowd laughed.

“They play a song every time you walk in the room!” he said, and everybody laughed again. “You don’t even have to push the buttons on your own elevator! People wait on you hand and foot!”

Then he grew serious.

“And you can be isolated,” he said. “And it’s just easy to forget that there is a whole world out there with people with hopes and dreams and fears and problems and enormous possibilities. You want somebody in that office who won’t forget.”

At the state fair, Bill finally makes his way to where Hillary and her press corps are waiting, in a shed with enormous pumpkins the size of beanbag chairs. The blue-ribbon-winning pumpkin is an incredible 1,004 pounds.

I ask Bill Clinton if the famous watermelons in Hope, Ark., his hometown, ever get this big.

“Watermelons don’t get this big,” he says. “Last one I saw was some 270 pounds. That’s a big watermelon.”

He talks about pumpkins and watermelons ― are you surprised that he knows about pumpkins and watermelons? ― and how these competition fruits cannot have any holes or breaks in the skin.

“It’s seeds plus soil plus care,” he says. “Too much water and the skin breaks and you are eliminated. Use too little, and somebody beats you. It is about constant judgment. Like the presidency. Make it as big as you can without breaking the skin.”

Bill and Hillary leave the pumpkin shed together, but soon they are separated again as he pauses to pet oxen, pose for pictures and, always, talk to people.

“People say I look like you,” a man says to him.

“That must be a great burden for you sometimes,” Clinton replies.

“I love your boots!” a woman shouts to him.

He walks over to her. “Ostrich skin,” he says. “I have ostrich skin and crocodile. I have a pair that is both ostrich skin and crocodile. There is this place in Australia that makes boots out of crocodiles and ostriches, but only when they die naturally.”

Dick Taissant, 65, of South Berwick, Maine, waits for him and shakes his hand, but notices something is missing.

“Where’s your wife?” he asks.

“Ahead of me,” Clinton says. “Like she has been for most of our lives.”

© 2007 Capitol News Company, LLC

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-09-14 13:41

The samiliar observation came up in the lastest issue of New Yorker article I was reading last night!

The Legacy Problem
有事找我请发站内消息

lindamm

Post by lindamm » 2007-09-15 5:59

Jun wrote:
gardvariety wrote:Bill Clinton 昨天下午在Arlington的costco签名照像推销他的Giving来着。在卖蔬菜水果的角落,用矿泉水纸巾堆起屏障,很是搞笑。
啊?!我就住那附近!错过了。 :verysad:
:cry:
我的猜想就是他不是对谁都放电,而是有选择性地放电,但是对记者似乎是经常放的。这就不可能完全是诚恳的。据说Ronald Reagan也是非常非常有魅力的,但是在私人生活里他完全没有深层的感情,感性上对身边的人非常肤浅和冷淡,而Nancy也差不多,所以他的几个孩子跟父母的关系都很不好(although that didn't prevent them from making money off of their famous father later on)。有人形容他是时刻在演戏,脱下面具后,下面只是空壳子。
据说bill clinton放电是很厉害的。偶一个年纪相仿的女同事说有一次在餐馆碰见他们一家,和Bill Clinton握手。“he looked me so deep in my eyes, as if he has known me for my whole life” :shock: 她说的太花痴,全然不顾我们其余人要说Monica Lewinsky :-)